It goes without saying that we are passionate about our delicious hog roasts and we know from feedback from you, our customers, that you do too. Our aim is to bring a quality natural product from the countryside to the city. We love what we do at Oink and we do like to have fun while we are working. So we thought we would write a wee blog piece with five fun facts about pork and an added bonus is that facts one and two also highlight the health benefits of eating pork too.
1. Iron is a mineral often lacking in infants, teenagers and women. The iron in pork is easy for the body to absorb and also aids the absorption of iron from bread and vegetables.
2. Pigs are the world’s most consumed animal and a third of that in the UK is made up of our favourite breakfast dish the bacon sandwich.
3. The work “barbeque” originated with French-speaking pirates who called their Caribbean pork feast “de barbe et queue”. It translates to “from beard to tail,” reflecting the versatility of the hog.
4. Pork has a high protein content (around 20%). Protein is important for muscle building and for keeping organs healthy.
5. Finally pulled pork has its origins in the deep south of the United States, in places like North Carolina and Tennessee though at Oink like to think that we have made it our own here in the beautiful city of Edinburgh. As a recent reviewer from Singapore recently said about Oink.
“Heavenly. This is a place that you have to visit if you are in Edinburgh. We walked pass Oink while walking up to the Edinburgh Castle and I told my wife that I have to eat here. So we did after visiting the castle. My oh my the Pull Pork Sandwiches are heavenly and I had mine with Haggis. It was one of my greatest meals while in UK. I am already dreaming of having it again.”