Match 8 – Ukrane v’s Sweden
Ukrainian Baba’s Pork Roast
1.Pat meat dry with a paper towel and rub with 2 tablespoons flour and salt. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown meat on all sides. Add the sliced onions, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for about one hour, adding a little water if necessary. Turn meat twice during the roasting process.
2.Place beets in a saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until beets are tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Chop beets into cubes and add to the roasting pan. Add prunes and beet water, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
3.Remove roast to a platter. Mix 1 tablespoon of flour with sour cream. Pour into roasting pan and mix well, scraping the sides and bottom. Simmer until sauce thickens. Season with paprika and taste. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Recipe source www.allrecipes.com
Prune Stuffed Pork Roast With Browned Potatoes, Swedish Style
• 8 medium potatoes
• 4 lbs pork loin
• 14 -16 pitted prunes
• 1 lemon, halved
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed beef broth, undiluted (I use consome)
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/2 cup milk
1. Wash and pare potatoes. Cut into slices, 1/8 inch thick, down through the top of each potato, being careful not to cut through to the bottom, leaving the bottom intact. Place in ice water to chill for about 1 hour, while you get everything else ready.
2. Wipe the pork with damp paper towels; trim off excess fat.
3. Preheat oven to 350*F. With a long narrow, sharp knife, starting at each end pierce through to center of roast. Using fingers, push fruit into the holes to completely fill. Rub roast on all sides with half a lemon. sprinkle with salt, pepper and ginger.
4. Place fat side up, in shallow roasting pan without rack. Pork will rest on bones. Pour beef broth around. Cover the pan with foil or a tight fitting lid and roast, covered, for 30 minutes.
5. Remove from oven. Drain and dry potatoes.
6. Melt butter with paprika. Roll dry potatoes in this twice, then place in roasting pan around the roast. Pour remaining paprka butter over potatoes. Roast, uncovered, basting every half hour with pan drippings. (add water if needed).
7. Roast 1 hour 20 minutes, or until thermometer registers 175*F. Remove roast and potatoes to heated platter; keep warm in a low oven.
8. Make a gravy by pouring pan drippings into a two cup measure. Skim off fat, reserving 2 TBS. Put the 2 TBS fat into roasting pan. Stir in the flour and ginger until smooth. Cook stirring over low heat to brown the flour slightly. Add water to the pan drippings to make 1 1/4 cup and gradually stir into the flour mixture along with the milk; bring to boiling, stirring until thickened.
9. Serve with the roasted pork and potatoes for a really special meal.
Recipe source www.food.com/recipe