Match 1 – Poland v Greece
Polish Breaded Pork Cutlets Recipe – Kotlety Schabowy
Makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
• 4 boneless center-cut pork chops or 1-pound pork tenderloin
• Salt and black pepper
• All-purpose flour
• 1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
• Bread crumbs or panko crumbs
• Vegetable shortening or canola oil
1. If using chops, trim off fat and gristle. If using tenderloin, trim off fat, remove silver skin and cut into 4 equal pieces. Pound pork between two pieces of plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thickness. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Dredge in flour, then egg, then bread or panko crumbs. Allow cutlets to dry for 10 minutes before frying.
3. Heat shortening or oil to a depth of 1 inch in a large skillet. Fry one at a time by placing cutlets top side down into the pan. Fry 5 to 7 minutes per side until golden. Place on a heatproof plate in a warm oven (about 200 degrees) covered with foil and repeat with remaining cutlets. Alternatively, use two skillets to speed the process.
Recipe Source www.easteuropeanfood.about.com
Greek Style Pork (Hirino spithkasimo)
• 1 kg shoulder of pork, cut into fist size pieces
• 1 kg Cypress potatoes, peeled and quartered
• olive oil, for drizzling
• 2 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 3 onions, peeled and sliced lengthways
• 5 tomatoes, (more if in season) sliced lengthways
1. Put the pork and potatoes in a large earthenware dish.
2. Pour a good drizzle of oil in the dish and mix around well. Add the spices and mix again.
3. Lay the onions and tomatoes over the top pour over a little more oil and season.
4. Cover with foil and cook in a hot oven (200 c) for around 1 hour, then lower the heat to 180C and remove the foil and cook for another hour till browned. Keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn’t burn.
5. Serve straight from the earthenware dish with Greek rocket.
Recipe Source www.uktv.co.uk/food/recipe