Match 6 – Ireland v’s Croatia
Irish Coddled Pork with cider
small knob butter
2 pork loin chops
4 rashers smoked bacon , cut into pieces
2 potatoes , cut into chunks
1 carrot , cut into large chunks
1⁄2 small swede , cut into chunks
1⁄2 large cabbage , cut into smaller pieces
1 bay leaf
100ml Irish cider
100g chicken stock
1. Heat the butter in a casserole dish until sizzling, then fry the pork for 2-3 mins on each side until browned. Remove from the pan.
2. Tip the bacon, carrot, potatoes and swede into the pan, then gently fry until slightly coloured. Stir in the cabbage, sit the chops back on top, add the bay leaf, then pour over the cider and stock. Cover the pan, then leave everything to gently simmer for 20 mins until the pork is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
3. Serve at the table spooned straight from the dish.
Recipe Source www.bbcgoodfood.com
North Croatian Pork and Sauerkraut Stew (Sekeli Gulash)
700 g pork necks (no bones)
• 150 g onions
• 100 g lard
• 1 teaspoon flour (optional)
• 1 teaspoon paprika (dried, red)
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 teaspoon caraway seed
• 1 1/2 cups white wine
• 800 g sauerkraut
• 100 g sour cream
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt
1. Cut pork meat into small pieces.
2. Finely slice onion and sauté it on lard until soft. Add meat and continue to sauté it until meat starts to change color.
3. Add paprika and mix. Add some wine and continue to sauté it.
4. After 10 to 15 minutes add sauerkraut (sliced), bay leaf, caraway seeds and more wine. Add water and brine (only if you like it really sour).
5. Cook 30 to 40 minutes on low fire. After 20 minutes add flour (just one teaspon if you want thicker stew) and mix well. Continue to cook until sauerkraut is soft.
6. Before serving add sour cream and mix.